Border Crossing


Duty-Free Limit On Purchase

United States travelers returning from Mexico may bring back purchases valued at  $800.00 duty-free. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is authorized by law to assess a flat rate of 0% on the first $1,000.00 worth of goods over the $800.00 exemption.

Agricultural Products

Entry of fruit, vegetables, meat, birds, seeds, plants, bulbs and cuttings in controlled by the United States Department of Agriculture. Present all such products to the inspectors. Unreported agriculture products incur penalties and loss of material. For additional information, call the CBP Agriculture Specialist, Eagle Pass, Texas 78852 830-752-3100

Alcohol And Tobacco Information

Once every thirty (30) days, one hundred cigars (other than Cuban cigars) and one carton of cigarettes (10 packages) may be brought into the United States duty-free (18 years of age or older) Sixteen miniatures are equal to one quart and may be imported at 75¢ each miniature, in lieu of one-quart bottle. A person cannot import both at the same time.


Texas State Taxes On Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Alcoholic Beverages

1/2 Pint 75¢ Fifth $1.00

Pint $1.00 Quart $1.25


Only 12 oz. bottles may be returned to the U.S

  • 75¢ for each six-p[ack or portion thereof
  • $1.00 for case of 24 (12 oz) bottles
  • $1.00 for case of 24 (12 oz) bottles bohemia Malt Liquor
  • 75¢ for a fifth of wine or champagne

WARNING Undeclared liquor purchases violate the Federal and Texas laws and incur heavy penalties for violators. State tax on tobacco and alcohol subject to change. The U.S. Citizens Returning home from Mexico,   (border with Eagle Pass, Texas) are required to present one of the travel document listed below. U.S Passport-This is internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land, and sea. U.S Passport Card- This is new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea. Note: The information noted above may have changed since the time this was posted. Please check with you at your local CBP office for updates.  All info was researched on the CBP website. Use the information on this page